Subject: Re: [PATCH] kasan: fix the missing underflow in memmove and memcpy with CONFIG_KASAN_GENERIC=y

From: Marc Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:57:39 +0200

On 30/09/2019 06:36, Walter Wu wrote:

>  bool check_memory_region(unsigned long addr, size_t size, bool write,
>                                 unsigned long ret_ip)
>  {
> +       if (long(size) < 0) {
> +               kasan_report_invalid_size(src, dest, len, _RET_IP_);
> +               return false;
> +       }
> +
>         return check_memory_region_inline(addr, size, write, ret_ip);
>  }

Is it expected that memcpy/memmove may sometimes (incorrectly) be passed
a negative value? (It would indeed turn up as a "large" size_t)

IMO, casting to long is suspicious.

There seem to be some two implicit assumptions.

1) size >= ULONG_MAX/2 is invalid input
2) casting a size >= ULONG_MAX/2 to long yields a negative value

1) seems reasonable because we can't copy more than half of memory to
the other half of memory. I suppose the constraint could be even tighter,
but it's not clear where to draw the line, especially when considering
32b vs 64b arches.

2) is implementation-defined, and gcc works "as expected" (clang too
probably) https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Integers-implementation.html

A comment might be warranted to explain the rationale.

Regards.

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel