Subject: Re: [PATCH] arm64: dts: rockchip: align bindings to PCIe spec

From: Geraldo Nascimento <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2025 05:03:19 -0300

On Tue, Nov 11, 2025 at 03:47:04PM +0800, 张烨 wrote:
> Hi Geraldo,
> 
> In standard GPIO operations, the typical practice is to set the output level first before configuring the direction as output. This approach helps avoid outputting an uncertain voltage level at the instant when the direction switches from input to output.

Thanks for the explanation Ye Zhang, it makes sense to me. It avoids the
pin to not be floating so to speak. I kept hammering at this problem, by
the way is PCIe PERST# side-band signal refusing to co-operate and
failing PCIe initial link-training.

You're not going to like this:

diff --git a/drivers/gpio/gpio-rockchip.c b/drivers/gpio/gpio-rockchip.c
index 47174eb3ba76..fea2c55992e8 100644
--- a/drivers/gpio/gpio-rockchip.c
+++ b/drivers/gpio/gpio-rockchip.c
@@ -183,11 +183,13 @@ static int rockchip_gpio_set(struct gpio_chip *gc, unsigned int offset,
 	struct rockchip_pin_bank *bank = gpiochip_get_data(gc);
 	unsigned long flags;
 
+	rockchip_gpio_set_direction(gc, offset, true);
+
 	raw_spin_lock_irqsave(&bank->slock, flags);
 	rockchip_gpio_writel_bit(bank, offset, value, bank->gpio_regs->port_dr);
 	raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore(&bank->slock, flags);
 
-	return 0;
+	return rockchip_gpio_set_direction(gc, offset, false);
 }
 
 static int rockchip_gpio_get(struct gpio_chip *gc, unsigned int offset)

By setting direction INPUT, then writing out, then setting OUTPUT again
miraculously it doesn't fail initial link training, with no other
changes that already have been rejected by PCI folks and Shawn Lin.

Everything works as expected. Is this an explainable behaviour by
Rockchip GPIO core?

The problem I am observing is that once I set PERST# it becomes
unsettable again. So that's why those open-drain/open-source hacks
worked (gpiolib will hack the pull polarity to INPUT).

Thanks,
Geraldo Nascimento

> 
> Additionally, for Rockchip's GPIO controller specifically, setting the level value should not be affected by the direction setting - the data register write should be effective regardless of whether the pin is configured as input or output.