Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next+ 9/9] net: stmmac: qcom-ethqos: remove phy_set_mode_ext() after phy_power_on()

From: Mohd Ayaan Anwar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2026 15:24:15 +0530

On Thu, Feb 19, 2026 at 12:51:10PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> The call to phy_set_mode_ext() after phy_power_on() was a work-around
> for the qcom-sgmii-eth SerDes driver that only re-enabled its clocks on
> phy_power_on() but did not configure the PHY. Now that the SerDes driver
> fully configures the SerDes at phy_power_on(), there is no need to call
> phy_set_mode_ext() immediately afterwards.
> 
> This also means we no longer need to record the previous operating mode
> of the driver - this is up to the SerDes driver. In any case, the only
> thing that we care about is the SerDes provides the necessary clocks to
> the stmmac core to allow it to reset at this point. The actual mode is
> irrelevant at this point as the correct mode will be configured in
> ethqos_mac_finish_serdes() just before the network device is brought
> online.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Russell King (Oracle) <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  .../stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-qcom-ethqos.c         | 18 ++----------------
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)
> 

Reviewed-by: Mohd Ayaan Anwar <[email-masked]>

	Ayaan