Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND2 net-next 0/8] net: stmmac: qcom-ethqos: further serdes reorganisation

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2026 00:11:29 +0000

On Thu, Feb 26, 2026 at 11:07:16PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> This is part 2 of the qcom-ethqos series, part 1 has now been merged.
> 
> This part of the series focuses on the generic PHY driver, but these
> changes have dependencies on the ethernet driver, hence why
> it will need to go via net-next. Furthermore, subsequent changes
> depend on these patches.
> 
> The underlying ideas here are:
> 
> - get rid of the driver using phy_set_speed() with SPEED_1000 and
>   SPEED_2500 which makes no sense for an ethernet SerDes due to the
>   PCS 8B10B data encoding, which inflates the data rate at the SerDes
>   compared to the MAC. This is replaced with phy_set_mode_ext().
> - allow phy_power_on() / phy_set_mode*() to be called in any order.
> 
> Mohd has tested this series, but it would be great to get acks/reviews
> from the generic PHY maintainers.

So, PW says "changes requested" - please let me know what changes have
been requested.

The AI review for patch 7 says:

  This commit fixes a bug but lacks a Fixes: tag. The commit modifies
  behavior introduced in 360000820ae2 ("phy: qcom-sgmii-eth: add
  .set_mode() and .validate() methods") by making phy_power_on() call
  qcom_dwmac_sgmii_phy_calibrate() to restore the previous setup, and by
  making qcom_dwmac_sgmii_phy_set_mode() check if the PHY is powered on
  before attempting calibration.

  Should this commit include:

  Fixes: 360000820ae2 ("phy: qcom-sgmii-eth: add .set_mode() and .validate() methods")

which is _wrong_, this isn't a bug fix.

So, in light of AI review being incorrect, my comment about re-sending
due to the AI review is no longer relevant, and no changes are required.
The only thing that's necessary is to have Vinod's ack added to patches
4, 5, 6 and 7, as he gave them against the very first posting of these
on Wednesday. This is despite waiting the required 24h before sending
the first resend.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!