Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/8] net: stmmac: improve PCS support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2026 14:48:39 +0000

On Mon, Mar 16, 2026 at 01:11:23AM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> This will be because we're not attaching any PHYs when phylink is
> being told to operate in 2500BASE-X with inband, since it thinks
> that's the media. That, and, because stmmac has a long history, it
> needed a special phylink_expects_phy() check added in stmmac_init_phy()
> which his what prevents the PHY being attached.

Okay, another idea that I hope will work. Please drop the "net: stmmac:
qcom-ethqos: enable inband mode for SGMII" patch so we go back to using
outband mode for everything.

Then, disable the call to ethqos_pcs_set_inband() so inband mode
doesn't get enabled for SGMII - as phylink will be telling the PHY to
disable inband mode.

Does that result in functional 100M, 1G and 2.5G speeds?

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!