Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/12] clk: add new flag CLK_ROUNDING_NOOP

From: Brian Masney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2026 16:38:19 -0400

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, Mar 09, 2026 at 10:38:39AM -0400, Brian Masney wrote:
> There are some clocks where the determine_rate clk op is just an empty
> function that returns 0. This can be either because the rounding is
> managed by the firmware, or the clock is capable of any rate. Add a
> new flag for these type of clocks, and update the clk core so that the
> determine_rate() clk op is not required when this flag is set.
> 
> Based on discussions with Stephen at Linux Plumbers Conference, he
> suggested adding a flag for this particular case. So let's add a new
> flag, and update the clk core so that the determine_rate() clk op is
> not required when this flag is set.
> 
> This series adds the flag, some kunit tests, and updates all of the
> relevant drivers under drivers/clk to use the new flag.
> 
> Once this is merged, and in Linus's tree, I can update the few remaining
> clk drivers that are outside of drivers/clk via those subsystems at a
> later time.
> 
> Merge Strategy
> --------------
> All of this needs to be directly merged by Stephen as one series into
> his tree. Subsystem maintainers: please leave a Reviewed-by or Acked-by.
> To reduce the noise, I am only CCing people on their respective drivers.
> 
> Note this series depends on 3 previously-posted patches in this git pull
> to Stephen for v7.1.
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/[email-masked]/
> 
> Signed-off-by: Brian Masney <[email-masked]>

We talked about this change at LPC in Tokyo, and you were the one that
suggested adding a new flag. I initially wanted to add a new shared noop
function to drivers/clk/clk.c. This series implements everything we
talked about in person. The only thing that we didn't talk about in
person was the name of this new flag.

Anyways, let me know if you are interested in this change, and if you
want any changes. If there's no changes then would it be possible to
pick this up?

Thanks,
Brian