Subject: Re: [PATCH v1] Input: Use named initializers for arrays of i2c_device_data

From: Uwe Kleine-König (The Capable Hub) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2026 14:02:20 +0200

Hello Dmitry,

On Fri, May 29, 2026 at 10:56:48PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> I like the ability to properly set up pointers for driver data, however
> I do not think we should use named initializers for name field. As long
> as we are not planning on moving its position I like the brevity of just
> saying
> 
> 	{ "ili210x", .driver_data_ptr = &ili210x_chip },
> 
> Can we keep the old style for the name field?

I have no strong opinion here, my patch introduces the named initializer
for both members for consistency. Note that my patches for all the other
subsystems (and also other *_device_id) do the same and you're the first
maintainer with that expressed preference.

I even sent a few patches that adapt initializers without .driver_data
(e.g.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/)
that got positive feedback so far.

So if you're ok with having input differ in style from (up to now) all
other subsystems, I can rework the patch.

Best regards
Uwe