Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/2] MTE support for KVM guest

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 10:01:38 +0000

On 2020-12-08 09:51, Haibo Xu wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 at 22:48, Steven Price <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 

[...]

>> Sounds like you are making good progress - thanks for the update. Have
>> you thought about how the PROT_MTE mappings might work if QEMU itself
>> were to use MTE? My worry is that we end up with MTE in a guest
>> preventing QEMU from using MTE itself (because of the PROT_MTE
>> mappings). I'm hoping QEMU can wrap its use of guest memory in a
>> sequence which disables tag checking (something similar will be needed
>> for the "protected VM" use case anyway), but this isn't something I've
>> looked into.
> 
> As far as I can see, to map all the guest memory with PROT_MTE in VMM
> is a little weird, and lots of APIs have to be changed to include this 
> flag.
> IMHO, it would be better if the KVM can provide new APIs to load/store 
> the
> guest memory tag which may make it easier to enable the Qemu migration
> support.

On what granularity? To what storage? How do you plan to synchronise 
this
with the dirty-log interface?

Thanks,

         M.
-- 
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny...

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel