Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/91] i2c: brcmstb: Allow to compile it on BCM2835

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 10:07:25 -0700

On 4/24/2020 9:13 AM, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> 
>>  config I2C_BRCMSTB
>>  	tristate "BRCM Settop/DSL I2C controller"
>> -	depends on ARCH_BRCMSTB || BMIPS_GENERIC || ARCH_BCM_63XX || \
>> -		   COMPILE_TEST
>> +	depends on ARCH_BCM2835 || ARCH_BRCMSTB || BMIPS_GENERIC || \
>> +		   ARCH_BCM_63XX || COMPILE_TEST
> 
> Isn't there something like ARCH_BROADCOM which we could use here instead
> of adding each and every SoC?

If you are worried about this list growing bigger, I do not think this
is going to happen beyond this changeset (famous last words).

There is no ARCH_BROADCOM because there is typically very little
commonality between SoC architectures within various Broadcom business
units (left hand is not supposed to talk to the right hand) with the
exception of a few peripherals that have been historically shared (NAND,
SPI, XHCI, Ethernet PHYs/switches, etc. etc. This I2C controller
historically came from the STB business unit, which given the market
space has also engineered its own HDMI core and naturally incorporated
the I2C core it already had into the HDMI core. Up until 2711, that HDMI
core was not used by the 283x family at all.
-- 
Florian

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel