Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/5] Removing support for 32bit KVM/arm host

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:01:48 +0000

On 2020-02-19 13:53, Stefan Agner wrote:
> On 2020-02-10 15:13, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>> KVM/arm was merged just over 7 years ago, and has lived a very quiet
>> life so far. It mostly works if you're prepared to deal with its
>> limitations, it has been a good prototype for the arm64 version,
>> but it suffers a few problems:
>> 
>> - It is incomplete (no debug support, no PMU)
>> - It hasn't followed any of the architectural evolutions
>> - It has zero users (I don't count myself here)
>> - It is more and more getting in the way of new arm64 developments
>> 
>> So here it is: unless someone screams and shows that they rely on
>> KVM/arm to be maintained upsteam, I'll remove 32bit host support
>> form the tree. One of the reasons that makes me confident nobody is
>> using it is that I never receive *any* bug report. Yes, it is perfect.
> 
> Not entirely true:
> https://lore.kernel.org/m/[email-masked]

And I thank you for that. This bug was actually hitting both arm and
arm64, and triggered by a bogus DT (that KVM should have handled in a
nicer way). What I was trying to say is that nobody reports bugs that
are specific to 32bit KVM/arm.

> But, after that was fixed, it actually was perfect :-D
> https://blog.printk.io/2016/09/kvm-with-kvmtool-on-armv7/

Hey, neat! not sure how useful, but neat nonetheless... ;-)

> That said, I never used it in a real-world application, so from my side
> removing it is fine.

Thanks,

         M.
-- 
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny...

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel