Subject: [PATCH v8 00/11] Introduce the Counter subsystem

From: [email-masked] (William Breathitt Gray)
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 16:44:24 -0400

Changes in v8:
 - Add counter_enum.h file
 - Simplify COUNTER Kconfig option help text
 - Rename generic-counter.c to the more straightforward counter.c
 - Update copyright and license boilerplate (use recommended SPDX line)
 - Replace EXPORT_SYMBOL lines with respective EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL lines
 - Replace scnprintf lines with sprintf since we're dealing with sysfs files
 - Add struct counter_attr_parm to simplify counter_attribute_create parameters
 - Rename *_comp_t suffixes to *_unit in order to avoid *_t suffix implications
 - List sysfs attribute values verbatim in sysfs documentation files
 - Reorganize 104-QUAD-8 driver license boilerplate update to dedicated patch

This revision is functionally identical to the last; changes in this version
were made to improve clarity, formatting and whitespace, and organization. I
also took this opportunity to record some of the new ACKs from the last
submission.

The counter_enum.h file was created to hold the Generic Counter enum helper
functions required by the Generic Counter enum macros (i.e. COUNTER_SIGNAL_ENUM,
COUNTER_COUNT_ENUM, etc.). These helper functions are not intended to be used
directly by driver authors, so I thought it best to keep them separated. Now the
counter.h file contains only macro, functions, and data structures that are
expected to possibly appear in a counter device driver.

The counter_attribute_create function parameter list was large so I reorganized
the parameters into the counter_attr_parm structure, which may be set and passed
by reference to the counter_attribute_create function. Since the show and store
function pointers match with the struct device_attribute show and store function
pointers, I decided to keep them declared as there are here without a typedef --
however, I can typedef them in a future revision if it will improve clarity to
do so.

Heads-up for Jonathan Cameron: you may pick-up the "iio: 104-quad-8: Update
license boilerplate" patch independent of this series; it's the SPDX license
boilerplate update for the 104-QUAD-8 IIO driver.

Sincerely,

William Breathitt Gray

Benjamin Gaignard (2):
  counter: Add STM32 Timer quadrature encoder
  dt-bindings: counter: Document stm32 quadrature encoder

Fabrice Gasnier (2):
  counter: stm32-lptimer: add counter device
  dt-bindings: counter: Adjust dt-bindings for STM32 lptimer move

William Breathitt Gray (7):
  counter: Introduce the Generic Counter interface
  counter: Documentation: Add Generic Counter sysfs documentation
  docs: Add Generic Counter interface documentation
  iio: 104-quad-8: Update license boilerplate
  counter: 104-quad-8: Add Generic Counter interface support
  counter: 104-quad-8: Documentation: Add Generic Counter sysfs
    documentation
  iio: counter: Add deprecation markings for IIO Counter attributes

 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-counter   |  230 +++
 .../ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-counter-104-quad-8  |   36 +
 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-iio       |    8 +
 .../testing/sysfs-bus-iio-counter-104-quad-8  |   16 +
 .../{iio => }/counter/stm32-lptimer-cnt.txt   |    0
 .../bindings/counter/stm32-timer-cnt.txt      |   31 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/mfd/stm32-lptimer.txt |    2 +-
 .../devicetree/bindings/mfd/stm32-timers.txt  |    7 +
 Documentation/driver-api/generic-counter.rst  |  342 ++++
 Documentation/driver-api/index.rst            |    1 +
 MAINTAINERS                                   |   15 +-
 drivers/Kconfig                               |    2 +
 drivers/Makefile                              |    1 +
 drivers/{iio => }/counter/104-quad-8.c        |  782 ++++++++-
 drivers/counter/Kconfig                       |   51 +
 drivers/{iio => }/counter/Makefile            |    5 +-
 drivers/counter/counter.c                     | 1561 +++++++++++++++++
 drivers/{iio => }/counter/stm32-lptimer-cnt.c |  361 +++-
 drivers/counter/stm32-timer-cnt.c             |  390 ++++
 drivers/iio/Kconfig                           |    1 -
 drivers/iio/Makefile                          |    1 -
 drivers/iio/counter/Kconfig                   |   34 -
 include/linux/counter.h                       |  505 ++++++
 include/linux/counter_enum.h                  |   45 +
 24 files changed, 4341 insertions(+), 86 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-counter
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-counter-104-quad-8
 rename Documentation/devicetree/bindings/{iio => }/counter/stm32-lptimer-cnt.txt (100%)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/counter/stm32-timer-cnt.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/driver-api/generic-counter.rst
 rename drivers/{iio => }/counter/104-quad-8.c (44%)
 create mode 100644 drivers/counter/Kconfig
 rename drivers/{iio => }/counter/Makefile (46%)
 create mode 100644 drivers/counter/counter.c
 rename drivers/{iio => }/counter/stm32-lptimer-cnt.c (48%)
 create mode 100644 drivers/counter/stm32-timer-cnt.c
 delete mode 100644 drivers/iio/counter/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 include/linux/counter.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/counter_enum.h

-- 
2.18.0