Subject: [PATCH v2 00/18] genirq: Remove setup_irq()

From: afzal mohammed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 06:17:11 +0530

While trying to understand internals of irq handling, came across a
thread [1] in which tglx was referring to avoid usage of setup_irq().
The early boot setup_irq() invocations happen either via 'init_IRQ()'
or 'time_init()', while memory allocators are ready by 'mm_init()'.

Hence instances of setup_irq() are replaced by request_irq() &
setup_irq() [along with remove_irq()] definition deleted in the last
patch.

Seldom remove_irq() usage has been observed coupled with setup_irq(),
wherever that has been found, it too has been replaced by free_irq().

Build & boot tested on ARM & x86_64 platforms (ensured that on the
machines used for testing, modifications made in this series is being
exercised at runtime)

Much of the changes were created using Coccinelle with an intention
to learn it. But not everything could be automated.

Searching with 'git grep -n '\Wsetup_irq('' & avoiding the irrelevant
ones, 153 invocation's of setup_irq() were found. 112 could be replaced
w/ cocci, of which in a few files some desired hunks were missing or
not as expected, these were fixed up manually. Also the remaining 41
had to be done manually.

Although cocci could replace 112, because of line continue not
happening at paranthesis for request_irq(), around 80 had to be
manually aligned in the request_irq() statement.

So though many changes could be automated, there are a considerable
amount of manual changes, please review carefully especially mips &
alpha.

Usage of setup_percpu_irq() is untouched w/ this series.

There are 2 checkpatch warning about usage of BUG(), they were already
present w/ setup_irq(), status quo maintained.

[1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/alpine.DEB.2.20.1710191609480.1971@nanos

Since changes from v1 are trivial as below, tags received has been
applied to the relevant patches, if any objections, please shout.

v2:
 * Replace pr_err("request_irq() on %s failed" by
           pr_err("%s: request_irq() failed"
 * m68k: remove now irrelevant comment separation comment lines
 * Commit message massage

afzal mohammed (18):
  alpha: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  ARM: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  c6x: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  hexagon: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  ia64: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  m68k: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  microblaze: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  MIPS: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  parisc: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  powerpc: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  s390: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  sh: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  unicore32: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  x86: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  xtensa: replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  clocksource: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  irqchip: Replace setup_irq() by request_irq()
  genirq: Remove setup_irq() and remove_irq()

 arch/alpha/kernel/irq_alpha.c                 | 29 ++-------
 arch/alpha/kernel/irq_i8259.c                 |  8 +--
 arch/alpha/kernel/irq_impl.h                  |  7 +--
 arch/alpha/kernel/irq_pyxis.c                 |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_alcor.c                 |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_cabriolet.c             |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_eb64p.c                 |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_marvel.c                |  2 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_miata.c                 |  6 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_ruffian.c               |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_rx164.c                 |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_sx164.c                 |  3 +-
 arch/alpha/kernel/sys_wildfire.c              |  7 +--
 arch/alpha/kernel/time.c                      |  6 +-
 arch/arm/mach-cns3xxx/core.c                  | 10 +---
 arch/arm/mach-ebsa110/core.c                  | 10 +---
 arch/arm/mach-ep93xx/timer-ep93xx.c           | 12 ++--
 arch/arm/mach-footbridge/dc21285-timer.c      | 11 +---
 arch/arm/mach-footbridge/isa-irq.c            |  8 +--
 arch/arm/mach-footbridge/isa-timer.c          | 11 +---
 arch/arm/mach-iop32x/time.c                   | 12 ++--
 arch/arm/mach-mmp/time.c                      | 11 +---
 arch/arm/mach-omap1/pm.c                      | 22 ++++---
 arch/arm/mach-omap1/time.c                    | 10 +---
 arch/arm/mach-omap1/timer32k.c                | 10 +---
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/timer.c                   | 11 +---
 arch/arm/mach-rpc/time.c                      |  8 +--
 arch/arm/mach-spear/time.c                    |  9 +--
 arch/arm/plat-orion/time.c                    | 10 +---
 arch/c6x/platforms/timer64.c                  | 11 +---
 arch/hexagon/kernel/smp.c                     | 17 +++---
 arch/hexagon/kernel/time.c                    | 11 +---
 arch/ia64/kernel/irq_ia64.c                   | 42 +++++--------
 arch/ia64/kernel/mca.c                        | 51 +++++-----------
 arch/m68k/68000/timers.c                      | 11 +---
 arch/m68k/coldfire/pit.c                      | 11 +---
 arch/m68k/coldfire/sltimers.c                 | 19 ++----
 arch/m68k/coldfire/timers.c                   | 21 ++-----
 arch/microblaze/kernel/timer.c                | 10 +---
 arch/mips/alchemy/common/time.c               | 11 +---
 arch/mips/ar7/irq.c                           | 18 +++---
 arch/mips/ath25/ar2315.c                      |  9 +--
 arch/mips/ath25/ar5312.c                      |  9 +--
 arch/mips/bcm63xx/irq.c                       | 38 +++++-------
 arch/mips/cobalt/irq.c                        | 14 ++---
 arch/mips/dec/setup.c                         | 59 ++++++++-----------
 arch/mips/emma/markeins/irq.c                 | 20 +++----
 arch/mips/include/asm/sni.h                   |  2 +-
 arch/mips/jazz/irq.c                          | 12 +---
 arch/mips/kernel/cevt-bcm1480.c               | 11 +---
 arch/mips/kernel/cevt-ds1287.c                |  9 +--
 arch/mips/kernel/cevt-gt641xx.c               |  9 +--
 arch/mips/kernel/cevt-r4k.c                   |  4 +-
 arch/mips/kernel/cevt-sb1250.c                | 11 +---
 arch/mips/kernel/cevt-txx9.c                  | 11 +---
 arch/mips/kernel/i8253.c                      | 10 +---
 arch/mips/kernel/rtlx-mt.c                    |  8 +--
 arch/mips/kernel/smp.c                        | 33 ++++-------
 arch/mips/lasat/interrupt.c                   | 10 +---
 arch/mips/loongson2ef/common/bonito-irq.c     |  9 +--
 .../loongson2ef/common/cs5536/cs5536_mfgpt.c  | 10 +---
 arch/mips/loongson2ef/fuloong-2e/irq.c        | 14 ++---
 arch/mips/loongson2ef/lemote-2f/irq.c         | 20 ++-----
 arch/mips/loongson32/common/irq.c             | 21 ++++---
 arch/mips/loongson32/common/time.c            | 12 ++--
 arch/mips/loongson64/hpet.c                   | 10 +---
 arch/mips/mti-malta/malta-int.c               | 10 +---
 arch/mips/netlogic/xlr/fmn.c                  |  9 +--
 arch/mips/pmcs-msp71xx/msp_irq.c              | 28 ++++-----
 arch/mips/pmcs-msp71xx/msp_smp.c              | 22 ++-----
 arch/mips/pmcs-msp71xx/msp_time.c             |  7 ++-
 arch/mips/ralink/cevt-rt3352.c                | 17 +++---
 arch/mips/sgi-ip22/ip22-eisa.c                |  8 +--
 arch/mips/sgi-ip22/ip22-int.c                 | 49 +++++----------
 arch/mips/sgi-ip32/ip32-irq.c                 | 18 ++----
 arch/mips/sni/a20r.c                          |  4 +-
 arch/mips/sni/irq.c                           |  8 +--
 arch/mips/sni/pcit.c                          |  8 ++-
 arch/mips/sni/rm200.c                         | 23 +++-----
 arch/mips/sni/time.c                          | 10 +---
 arch/mips/vr41xx/common/irq.c                 |  9 +--
 arch/parisc/kernel/irq.c                      | 21 ++-----
 arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/mpc85xx_cds.c     | 10 +---
 arch/powerpc/platforms/8xx/cpm1.c             |  9 +--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/8xx/m8xx_setup.c       |  9 +--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/chrp/setup.c           | 14 ++---
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/pic.c         | 31 ++++------
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/smp.c         |  9 +--
 arch/s390/kernel/irq.c                        |  8 +--
 arch/sh/boards/mach-cayman/irq.c              | 18 ++----
 arch/sh/drivers/dma/dma-pvr2.c                |  9 +--
 arch/unicore32/kernel/time.c                  | 11 +---
 arch/x86/kernel/irqinit.c                     | 18 +++---
 arch/x86/kernel/time.c                        | 10 +---
 arch/xtensa/kernel/smp.c                      |  8 +--
 arch/xtensa/kernel/time.c                     | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/bcm2835_timer.c           |  8 +--
 drivers/clocksource/bcm_kona_timer.c          | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/dw_apb_timer.c            | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/exynos_mct.c              | 12 ++--
 drivers/clocksource/mxs_timer.c               | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/nomadik-mtu.c             | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/samsung_pwm_timer.c       | 12 ++--
 drivers/clocksource/timer-atlas7.c            | 50 ++++++++--------
 drivers/clocksource/timer-cs5535.c            | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-efm32.c             | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-fsl-ftm.c           | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-imx-gpt.c           | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-integrator-ap.c     | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-meson6.c            | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-orion.c             |  9 +--
 drivers/clocksource/timer-prima2.c            | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-pxa.c               | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-sp804.c             | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-u300.c              |  9 +--
 drivers/clocksource/timer-vf-pit.c            | 10 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-vt8500.c            | 11 +---
 drivers/clocksource/timer-zevio.c             | 13 ++--
 drivers/irqchip/irq-i8259.c                   |  9 +--
 drivers/irqchip/irq-ingenic.c                 | 11 ++--
 drivers/parisc/eisa.c                         |  8 +--
 drivers/s390/cio/airq.c                       |  8 +--
 drivers/s390/cio/cio.c                        |  8 +--
 include/linux/dw_apb_timer.h                  |  1 -
 include/linux/irq.h                           |  2 -
 kernel/irq/manage.c                           | 44 --------------
 126 files changed, 528 insertions(+), 1117 deletions(-)

base-commit: v5.6-rc1
-- 
2.25.1

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel