Subject: [PATCH v3 0/3] Allow ATS to be always on for certain ATS-capable devices

From: Nicolin Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2026 15:41:14 -0800

PCI ATS function is controlled by IOMMU driver calling pci_enable_ats() and
pci_disable_ats() helpers. In general, IOMMU driver only enables ATS, when
a translation channel is enabled on a PASID, typically for an SVA use case.
When a device's RID is IOMMU bypassed and there is no active PASID running
SVA use case, ATS is always disabled.

However, certain PCIe devices require non-PASID ATS on its RID, even if the
RID is IOMMU bypassed. E.g. CXL.cache capability requires ATS to access the
physical memory; some pre-CXL NVIDIA GPUs also require the ATS to be always
on even when their RIDs are IOMMU bypassed.

Provide a helper function to detect CXL.cache capability and scan through a
pre-CXL device ID list.

As the initial use case, call the helper in ARM SMMUv3 driver and adapt the
driver accordingly with a per-device ats_always_on flag.

This is on Github:
https://github.com/nicolinc/iommufd/commits/pci_ats_always_on-v3/

Changelog
v3
 * Add Reviewed-by from Jonathan
 * Update function kdocs of PCI APIs
 * Simplify boolean return/variable computations
v2
 * s/non-CXL/pre-CXL
 * Rebase on v7.0-rc1
 * Update inline comments and commit message
 * Add WARN_ON back at !ptr in arm_smmu_clear_cd()
 * Add NVIDIA CX10 Family NVlink-C2C to the pre-CXL list
 * Do not add boolean parameter to arm_smmu_attach_dev_ste()
v1
 https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Nicolin Chen (3):
  PCI: Allow ATS to be always on for CXL.cache capable devices
  PCI: Allow ATS to be always on for pre-CXL devices
  iommu/arm-smmu-v3: Allow ATS to be always on

 drivers/iommu/arm/arm-smmu-v3/arm-smmu-v3.h |  1 +
 drivers/pci/pci.h                           |  9 +++
 include/linux/pci-ats.h                     |  3 +
 include/uapi/linux/pci_regs.h               |  1 +
 drivers/iommu/arm/arm-smmu-v3/arm-smmu-v3.c | 72 ++++++++++++++++++---
 drivers/pci/ats.c                           | 43 ++++++++++++
 drivers/pci/quirks.c                        | 26 ++++++++
 7 files changed, 147 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

-- 
2.43.0