Subject: [PATCH 00/15] mm: expand mmap_prepare functionality and usage

From: "Lorenzo Stoakes (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2026 20:27:15 +0000

This series expands the mmap_prepare functionality, which is intended to
replace the deprecated f_op->mmap hook which has been the source of bugs
and security issues for some time.

This series starts with some cleanup of existing mmap_prepare logic, then
adds documentation for the mmap_prepare call to make it easier for
filesystem and driver writers to understand how it works.

It then importantly adds a vm_ops->mapped hook, a key feature that was
missing from mmap_prepare previously - this is invoked when a driver which
specifies mmap_prepare has successfully been mapped but not merged with
another VMA.

Importantly, mmap_prepare is invoked prior to a merge being attempted, so
you cannot manipulate state such as reference counts as if it were a new
mapping.

The vm_ops->mapped hook allows a driver to perform tasks required at this
stage, and provides symmetry against subsequent vm_ops->open,close calls.

The series uses this to correct the afs implementation which wrongly
manipulated reference count at mmap_prepare time.

It then adds an mmap_prepare equivalent of vm_iomap_memory() -
mmap_action_simple_ioremap(), then uses this to update a number of drivers.

It then splits out the mmap_prepare compatibility layer (which allows for
invocation of mmap_prepare hooks in an mmap() hook) in such a way as to
allow for more incremental implementation of mmap_prepare hooks.

It then uses this to extend mmap_prepare usage in drivers.

Finally it adds an mmap_prepare equivalent of vm_map_pages(), which lays
the foundation for future work which will extend mmap_prepare to DMA
coherent mappings.

Lorenzo Stoakes (Oracle) (15):
  mm: various small mmap_prepare cleanups
  mm: add documentation for the mmap_prepare file operation callback
  mm: document vm_operations_struct->open the same as close()
  mm: add vm_ops->mapped hook
  fs: afs: correctly drop reference count on mapping failure
  mm: add mmap_action_simple_ioremap()
  misc: open-dice: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare
  hpet: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare
  mtdchar: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare, clean up
  stm: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare
  staging: vme_user: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare
  mm: allow handling of stacked mmap_prepare hooks in more drivers
  drivers: hv: vmbus: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare
  uio: replace deprecated mmap hook with mmap_prepare in uio_info
  mm: add mmap_action_map_kernel_pages[_full]()

 Documentation/driver-api/vme.rst           |   2 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/mmap_prepare.rst | 141 ++++++++++++++
 drivers/char/hpet.c                        |  12 +-
 drivers/hv/hyperv_vmbus.h                  |   4 +-
 drivers/hv/vmbus_drv.c                     |  27 ++-
 drivers/hwtracing/stm/core.c               |  31 ++-
 drivers/misc/open-dice.c                   |  19 +-
 drivers/mtd/mtdchar.c                      |  21 +-
 drivers/staging/vme_user/vme.c             |  20 +-
 drivers/staging/vme_user/vme.h             |   2 +-
 drivers/staging/vme_user/vme_user.c        |  51 +++--
 drivers/target/target_core_user.c          |  26 ++-
 drivers/uio/uio.c                          |  10 +-
 drivers/uio/uio_hv_generic.c               |  11 +-
 fs/afs/file.c                              |  20 +-
 include/linux/fs.h                         |  14 +-
 include/linux/hyperv.h                     |   4 +-
 include/linux/mm.h                         | 158 +++++++++++++--
 include/linux/mm_types.h                   |  17 +-
 include/linux/uio_driver.h                 |   4 +-
 mm/internal.h                              |  41 ++--
 mm/memory.c                                | 174 ++++++++++++-----
 mm/util.c                                  | 213 +++++++++++++++------
 mm/vma.c                                   |  56 ++++--
 mm/vma.h                                   |   2 +-
 tools/testing/vma/include/dup.h            | 143 ++++++++++----
 tools/testing/vma/include/stubs.h          |   9 +-
 27 files changed, 933 insertions(+), 299 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/filesystems/mmap_prepare.rst

--
2.53.0