Subject: [PATCH v2 0/6] change young flag check functions to return bool

From: Baolin Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2026 14:42:48 +0800

This is a cleanup patchset to change all young flag check functions to
return bool, as discussed with David in the previous thread[1]. Since
callers only care about whether the young flag was set, returning bool
makes the intention clearer. No functional changes intended.

Ran mm selftests on Arm64 and x86 machines, and no issues were found.

Note that I only CC'd the arch mailing lists to avoid disturbing too
many people.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Changes from v1:
 - Add reviewed tag from Lorenzo and Ritesh. Thanks.
 - Drop extern and use 2 tabs indentation, per Lorenzo.
 - Fix the incorrect conversion of the 'id' variable.

Baolin Wang (6):
  mm: change to return bool for ptep_test_and_clear_young()
  mm: change to return bool for
    ptep_clear_flush_young()/clear_flush_young_ptes()
  mm: change to return bool for pmdp_test_and_clear_young()
  mm: change to return bool for pmdp_clear_flush_young()
  mm: change to return bool for pudp_test_and_clear_young()
  mm: change to return bool for the MMU notifier's young flag check

 arch/arm64/include/asm/pgtable.h             | 38 +++++-----
 arch/arm64/mm/contpte.c                      | 14 ++--
 arch/microblaze/include/asm/pgtable.h        |  2 +-
 arch/parisc/include/asm/pgtable.h            |  9 +--
 arch/parisc/kernel/cache.c                   |  8 +--
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/book3s/32/pgtable.h |  4 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/book3s/64/pgtable.h | 26 +++----
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/nohash/64/pgtable.h |  2 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/nohash/pgtable.h    |  4 +-
 arch/powerpc/mm/book3s64/pgtable.c           |  8 +--
 arch/riscv/include/asm/pgtable.h             | 16 ++---
 arch/riscv/mm/pgtable.c                      |  7 +-
 arch/s390/include/asm/pgtable.h              | 16 ++---
 arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable.h               | 20 +++---
 arch/x86/mm/pgtable.c                        | 28 ++++----
 arch/xtensa/include/asm/pgtable.h            |  9 ++-
 include/linux/mmu_notifier.h                 | 76 +++++++++-----------
 include/linux/pgtable.h                      | 53 +++++++-------
 mm/internal.h                                | 16 ++---
 mm/mmu_notifier.c                            | 23 +++---
 mm/pgtable-generic.c                         | 14 ++--
 virt/kvm/kvm_main.c                          | 31 +++-----
 22 files changed, 202 insertions(+), 222 deletions(-)

-- 
2.47.3