Subject: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

From: [email-masked] (Marc Zyngier)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 12:54:01 +0200

On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:44:07 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
> 
>> 
>> On Thu, 3 May 2012 14:35:55 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
>>> 
>>>  I'm currently on kvm-arm-v7-ael, because it looked like the most
>>>  up-to-date one. Which one should I be using for Cortex-A15 support?
>> 
>> That branch is good enough, if you have a bleeding edge QEMU. Note that
>> the VE A15 support in that tree is DT only. I'm working on a v3.4 based
>> one
>> at the moment, but that's not completely ready yet.
> 
> I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/ there
is
> no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote above)
you
> had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the .config
as
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your kernel
> tree?

No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until the
VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.

As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no reason
to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
(kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this in
his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
dead as far as I am concerned.

If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't rely on the
A15 board file, it is a dead end.

        M.
-- 
Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two.