Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] iommu/arm-smmu: Add an optional "input-address-size" property

From: Robin Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 10:16:28 +0100

On 2019-10-11 4:46 am, Nicolin Chen wrote:
> This series of patches add an optional DT property to allow an SoC to
> specify how many bits being physically connected to its SMMU instance,
> depending on the SoC design.

This has come up before, and it doesn't work in general because a single 
SMMU instance can have many master interfaces, with potentially 
different sizes of address bus wired up to each. It's also a 
conceptually-wrong approach anyway, since this isn't a property of the 
SMMU; it's a property of the interconnect(s) upstream of the SMMU.

IIRC you were working on Tegra - if so, Thierry already has a plan, see 
this thread: 
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/20190930133510.GA1904140@ulmo/

Robin.

> 
> Nicolin Chen (2):
>    dt-bindings: arm-smmu: Add an optional "input-address-size" property
>    iommu/arm-smmu: Read optional "input-address-size" property
> 
>   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/iommu/arm,smmu.txt |  7 +++++++
>   drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c                             | 10 ++++++++--
>   2 files changed, 15 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> 

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel