Subject: [PATCH 0/2] spi: meson: Add Amlogic GXBB compatible

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Hilman)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 11:17:08 -0700

Andreas F?rber <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 08.09.2016 um 14:04 schrieb Andreas F?rber:
>> Am 08.09.2016 um 09:53 schrieb Neil Armstrong:
>>> This patchset adds a specific compatible string in the Meson SPIFC driver for
>>> the Amlogic Meson GXBB SoC.
>> 
>> Any particular reason? We could just reuse the meson6 one since there
>> appear to be no code changes so far.
>
> So Neil is essentially telling me they don't know whether there are any
> differences in the IP block, so a separate compatible string was chosen.
>
> No objection from my side, but a general clarification from device tree
> maintainers when and when not to would be appreciated. (+ devicetree)

I'm not sure what the "right" way is (Rob?) but I think the usual way is
to add new compatibles when needed.

Kevin