Subject: i.MX8MP: Fix HDMI LCDIF FIFO underruns

From: Krzysztof Hałasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2026 12:45:40 +0100

Running (and terminating) Weston on i.MX8MP sometimes produced black
or grey screens. The LCDIF3 INT_STATUS_D0 register showed a FIFO underrun:

32FC6024: 1000002

The PANIC0_THRES register was set to:

32FC6238:  AA0154

which apparently meant low = 2736 bytes (0xAA * 16 + 16), high = 5456 bytes
(0x154 * 16 + 16).

With this patch (based on NXP's driver) the watermarks are only 16 bytes
higher (register values increased by 1) and the underruns are gone.

Tested on Solidrun Hummingboard Mate with a 1080p60 HDMI display.

Signed-off-by: Krzysztof Hałasa <[email-masked]>

--- a/drivers/gpu/drm/mxsfb/lcdif_kms.c
+++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/mxsfb/lcdif_kms.c
@@ -353,8 +353,8 @@ static void lcdif_enable_controller(struct lcdif_drm_private *lcdif)
 	u32 reg;
 
 	/* Set FIFO Panic watermarks, low 1/3, high 2/3 . */
-	writel(FIELD_PREP(PANIC0_THRES_LOW_MASK, 1 * PANIC0_THRES_MAX / 3) |
-	       FIELD_PREP(PANIC0_THRES_HIGH_MASK, 2 * PANIC0_THRES_MAX / 3),
+	writel(FIELD_PREP(PANIC0_THRES_LOW_MASK, DIV_ROUND_UP(1 * PANIC0_THRES_MAX, 3)) |
+	       FIELD_PREP(PANIC0_THRES_HIGH_MASK, DIV_ROUND_UP(2 * PANIC0_THRES_MAX, 3)),
 	       lcdif->base + LCDC_V8_PANIC0_THRES);
 
 	/*

-- 
Krzysztof "Chris" Hałasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa