Subject: Regression (ARM) arch/arm/mm/init.c doesn't build without CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT.

From: [email-masked] (Krzysztof Hałasa)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 23:08:50 +0100

Santosh Shilimkar <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am afraid you didn't understood what the fix is if you say above.
> arm_dma_limit is broken without this fix for LPAE machines with
> memory starting 4 GB physical boundary.

I wonder what CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT and CONFIG_ZONE_DMA do they
use?

Of course, CONFIG_ZONE_DMA must be set, because otherwise the patch
changes a part disabled with #ifdef. CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT must be
set because otherwise the kernel will not compile at all.

Do you accept the fact the configurations with CONFIG_ZONE_DMA and
without CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT are now broken - by this very commit?

Now, what "fix" does this commit in its entirety do:

-     arm_dma_limit = PHYS_OFFSET + arm_dma_zone_size - 1;
+     arm_dma_limit = __pv_phys_offset + arm_dma_zone_size - 1;

if under the above circumstances (CONFIG_*) in
arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h we have:

extern u64 __pv_phys_offset;
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the only usable declaration of this variable
extern u64 __pv_offset;
extern void fixup_pv_table(const void *, unsigned long);
extern const void *__pv_table_begin, *__pv_table_end;

#define PHYS_OFFSET __pv_phys_offset
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
-- 
Krzysztof Halasa

Research Institute for Automation and Measurements PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warsaw, Poland