Subject: [PATCHv2] mvebu: add Linksys WRT1900AC (Mamba) support

From: [email-masked] (Imre Kaloz)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:16:50 +0100

Hi Sebastian,

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:54:02 +0100, Sebastian Hesselbarth  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> - OpenWrt is the only firmware/stack other than the official one and
>> people already know this device as "mamba".
>>
>> - Let's say the same device gets released under the same name or just
>> the radios change - so no redesign takes place at all. In my opinion
>> that hardly justifies adding multiple .dts files just to change the name
>> of the LEDs to reflect that. I think people who want to run mainline on
>> their device wouldn't be concerned about seeing a codename, but on the
>> other hand we could receive patches to "correct" the marketing name in
>> the LEDs.
>
> As soon as you'll discover another "mamba"-based device, you can
> split-off the common stuff into a linksys-mamba.dtsi and include it
> into each of the two device dts files.
>
> Right now, I'd suggest to have just a single linksys-wrt1900ac.dts.

Right now the only device using the board is the "mamba" with "WRT1900AC"  
as the marketing name.

Let me try to change the question: if we'll have a device made by  
"Company" called "foobar" marketed as "ABC100", mainline really prefers it  
to be called "company,abc100" (and hence the leds "abc100:color:label")  
instead of "company,foobar"?

As I've said, the "viper" has been sold as the EA4200v2 and the EA4500.  
Other than the sticker, it's the same device. So for me calling a single  
device as "linksys,viper" makes way more sense than creating a  
linksys-viper.dtsi and have a linksys-ea4200v2.dts and a  
linksys-ea4500.dts - (so multiple kernels) just to make the model / led  
name follow the sticker.

Also, please mind we are talking about consumer stuff here, so it's likely  
there will be multiple versions (maybe with different socs/whatever). Do  
we really want to have devices named after random marketing name + version  
number combos? ABC100 can be the same as FOO1000v3 and BAR9999v5 or  
WTH555v2.

Imre