Subject: [PATCH] iommu/arm-smmu: Only return IRQ_NONE if FSR is not set

From: [email-masked] (Mitchel Humpherys)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 13:40:33 -0700

On Mon, Oct 05 2015 at 03:24:03 PM, Will Deacon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Mitch,
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 01:12:05AM +0100, Mitchel Humpherys wrote:
>> Currently we return IRQ_NONE from the context fault handler if the FSR
>> doesn't actually have the fault bit set (some sort of miswired
>> interrupt?) or if the client doesn't register an IOMMU fault handler.
>> However, registering a client fault handler is optional, so telling the
>> interrupt framework that the interrupt wasn't for this device if the
>> client doesn't register a handler isn't exactly accurate.  Fix this by
>> returning IRQ_HANDLED even if the client doesn't register a handler.
>> 
>> Signed-off-by: Mitchel Humpherys <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>  drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c | 2 +-
>>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>> 
>> diff --git a/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c b/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c
>> index 48a39dfa9777..95560d447a54 100644
>> --- a/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c
>> +++ b/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c
>> @@ -653,7 +653,7 @@ static irqreturn_t arm_smmu_context_fault(int irq, void *dev)
>>  		dev_err_ratelimited(smmu->dev,
>>  		    "Unhandled context fault: iova=0x%08lx, fsynr=0x%x, cb=%d\n",
>>  		    iova, fsynr, cfg->cbndx);
>> -		ret = IRQ_NONE;
>> +		ret = IRQ_HANDLED;
>>  		resume = RESUME_TERMINATE;
>
> Hmm, but if we haven't actually done anything to rectify the cause of the
> fault, what means that we won't take it again immediately? I guess I'm not
> understanding the use-case that triggered you to write this patch...

Does returning IRQ_NONE actually prevent us from taking another
interrupt (despite clearing the FSR below)?  We definitely take more
interrupts on our platform despite returning IRQ_NONE, but maybe we have
something misconfigured...

I thought that returning IRQ_NONE would simply affect spurious interrupt
accounting (only disabling the interrupt if we took enough of them in
close enough succession to flag a misbehaving device).

As far as a valid use case, I can't think of one.  I just thought we
were messing up the spurious interrupt accounting.

-Mitch

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project