Subject: RE: mmotm 2012-07-10-16-59 uploaded (staging/ccg)

From: Andrzej Pietrasiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:00:13 +0200

Dear Andrew,

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:17 AM Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:01:32 -0700
> Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > In file included from drivers/staging/ccg/ccg.c:59:0:
> > drivers/staging/ccg/../../usb/gadget/f_fs.c:41:0: warning: "pr_vdebug"
> redefined
> > drivers/staging/ccg/../../usb/gadget/u_serial.c:138:0: note: this is the
> location of the previous definition
> 
> <looks at drivers/staging/ccg/ccg.c>

<snip>

@Randy:

There is a patch for this:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg65344.html

I guess you acked it.

@Feilpe, Greg:

Should I send a pull request?

> 
> : /*
> :  * Kbuild is not very cooperative with respect to linking separately
> :  * compiled library objects into one module.  So for now we won't use
> :  * separate compilation ... ensuring init/exit sections work to shrink
> :  * the runtime footprint, and giving us at least some parts of what
> :  * a "gcc --combine ... part1.c part2.c part3.c ... " build would.
> :  */

<snip>

> Who wrote that

<snip>

> comment?  

<snip>

FYI: The text was taken from Gadget Zero (zero.c) and was originally
written by David Brownell, may he Rest in Peace.

I think that the #include approach is intended to be revised sometime:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=132431126927355&w=2 - if there is
just one gadget module configurable through configfs, the things will
probably be simplified.

AP