Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the origin tree

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 10:59:09 +0100

On 2020-07-30 07:14, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 05:22:50AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:17:48PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
>> > And just another heads-up, the patch[1] (which was never sent to a public
>> > list) also breaks arm64 (circular header needs?):
>> (...)
>> 
>> Definitely, we've just got a report about this, I'll have a look once
>> I'm at the office. I'd like to check that we don't obviously break
>> another arch by just removing percpu. If at least shuffling them 
>> around
>> is sufficient that'd be nice. Otherwise we'll likely need a separate
>> header (which is not a bad thing for the long term).
> 
> So Linus proposed a clean solution which might be harder to backport
> but looks better for 5.8. However the attached one addresses the issue
> for me on arm64 and still works on x86_64, arm, mips. I think we should
> go with this one first then apply Linus' one on top of it to be long
> term proof, and backport only the first one. Linus ?

So for what it's worth, this patch fixes the arm64 compilation problem
for me:

Tested-by: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>

I had come up with a different fix, only touching arm64 (see below).

Thanks,

         M.

 From 33d819f4efa0a4474b5dc2e4bcaef1b886ca30c3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
 From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 10:53:05 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] arm64: Drop unnecessary include from asm/smp.h

asm/pointer_auth.h is not needed anymore in asm/smp.h, as 62a679cb2825
("arm64: simplify ptrauth initialization") removed the keys from the
secondary_data structure.

This also cures a compilation issue introduced by f227e3ec3b5c
("random32: update the net random state on interrupt and activity").

Fixes: 62a679cb2825 ("arm64: simplify ptrauth initialization")
Fixes: f227e3ec3b5c ("random32: update the net random state on interrupt 
and activity")
Signed-off-by: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
---
  arch/arm64/include/asm/smp.h | 1 -
  1 file changed, 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/arm64/include/asm/smp.h b/arch/arm64/include/asm/smp.h
index ea268d88b6f7..a0c8a0b65259 100644
--- a/arch/arm64/include/asm/smp.h
+++ b/arch/arm64/include/asm/smp.h
@@ -30,7 +30,6 @@
  #include <linux/threads.h>
  #include <linux/cpumask.h>
  #include <linux/thread_info.h>
-#include <asm/pointer_auth.h>

  DECLARE_PER_CPU_READ_MOSTLY(int, cpu_number);

-- 
2.27.0

-- 
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?