Subject: Re: How linux-staging is released (was Re: linux-staging/linux-next merge/build errors)

From: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:02:22 +0200

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 10:50 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 03:00:08PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > 
> > So what motivates people to keep working on items in your tree if
> > distros are already shipping their stuff?
> 
> The fact that the code still isn't upstream?
> 
> And I'm not betting on distros picking this tree up, but it is in an
> easy form if they wish to do so :)

The point was that for some people being carried by distos is upstream
enough.

So I would discourage distros form picking up this tree.

The scenario I was thinking about is some HW vendor writing a shitty
driver, dumping it in your tree - getting picked up by $DISTRO and
saying, job done, people can use it. Leaving you to pick up the pieces -
which, with you not having hw-docs, is a hard job.

> > Will you drop drivers that stagnate?
> 
> Heh, most of the drivers are in my tree because they were stagnating
> somewhere else :)
> 
> Hopefully no, it's trivial to drag them along forever, but I'll be
> working to get them upstream as fast as I can, and it also provides a
> very nice project for someone to pick up and work on, as a number of
> developers already have.

Good stuff ;-)