Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure

From: Hollis Blanchard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 11:24:26 -0600

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 12:05 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 10:40:05 -0600
> Hollis Blanchard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > Hi Stephen, it looks like Josh accidentally set the following options in
> > ppc44x_defconfig:
> > +CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
> > +CONFIG_KVM=y
> > +CONFIG_KVM_BOOKE_HOST=y
> 
> That wasn't an accident.  I set them based on -rc2 Kconfig values, and
> enabled it for better build coverage.  Seems it worked. 

But when you asked me if I thought it was a good idea to enable KVM in
ppc44x defconfig, I said "no"...

I'm not sure if there's precedent for features marked EXPERIMENTAL to be
in the defconfig, but simply put I have not done a thorough audit of the
KVM 440 code for security or DoS issues. (For example, until yesterday,
the guest could trivially flood the host console because I'd left a
printk enabled.) It just seems like asking for trouble to enable it in
the defconfig.

That said, I have no complaint about having it enabled for linux-next
builds.

-- 
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center