Subject: Re: linux-next: nfs tree build warning

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:22:35 -0400

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 13:15 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Trond,
> 
> Today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig) produced this warning:
> 
> fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c: In function 'nfs4_proc_exchange_id':
> fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c:4279: warning: the frame size of 2288 bytes is larger than 2048 bytes
> 
> Introduced by commit 63a93b4af49220c74757beb17b5617b72d912b6b ("nfs41:
> exchange_id operation").  This commit has been around for a while.

Benny, Andy,

Why are we preallocating 1k buffers on the stack for these things?
That's an insane amount of free space...

If this is truly a realistic value (which I sincerely doubt), then the
right thing to do is to preallocate a page in which to store them.
Putting 1k arrays on the stack is just _wrong_.

Trond