Subject: Re: [PATCH] btrfs: fix uninitialized variable warning

From: Chris Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:56:18 -0400

Excerpts from David Sterba's message of 2011-06-03 10:50:14 -0400:
> From: David Sterba <[email-masked]>
> 
> With Linus' tree, today's linux-next build (powercp ppc64_defconfig)
> produced this warning:
> 
> fs/btrfs/delayed-inode.c: In function 'btrfs_delayed_update_inode':
> fs/btrfs/delayed-inode.c:1598:6: warning: 'ret' may be used
> uninitialized in this function
> 
> Introduced by commit 16cdcec736cd ("btrfs: implement delayed inode items
> operation").
> 
> This fixes a bug in btrfs_update_inode(): if the returned value from
> btrfs_delayed_update_inode is a nonzero garbage, inode stat data are not
> updated and several call paths may hit a BUG_ON or fail with strange
> code.

Ugh, thanks!  It looks like the gcc uninit stuff isn't as verbose as it
used to be, but it does catch a bunch of allocated/set but not used
vars.

I have a nitems = 0 fix in my tree as well.

-chris