Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the net tree

From: Jeff Kirsher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:31:35 -0700

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 19:02 -0700, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> After merging the net tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
> 
> Assembler messages:
> Fatal error: can't create drivers/net/ethernet/sun/.tmp_sungem_phy.o: No such file or directory
> 
> Presumably caused by commit e689cf4a0427 ("cassini/niu/sun*: Move the Sun
> drivers") theough I don't know why.  I tried throwing away my object
> directory, but that didn't help.
> 
> Ah, ha!  This looks suspicious (change to drivers/net/Makefile):
> 
> +obj-$(CONFIG_SPIDER_NET) += spidernet.o ethernet/sun/sungem_phy.o
> 
> I have used the net tree from next-20110811 for today.

I am curious, can you compile the Sun GEM support driver?  and if so,
does the Spider Net driver compile?

I know I did not have the PPC hardware to test the compilation of the
Spider Net driver, but I was basing the Makefile changes on similar
changes that the Broadcom driver required, which I did compile test.

I want to resolve this before continuing on with the next set of
patches.