Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm tree

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:51:56 -0700

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 19:22 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> After merging the akpm tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
> 
> In file included from arch/powerpc/boot/stdio.c:12:0:
> arch/powerpc/boot/stdio.h:10:17: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before numeric constant
[]
> And went down hill from there (it produced hundreds of errors).

Well, I did say it was completely untested...

> Caused by commit a52af697aaeb ("treewide: use __printf not __attribute__
> ((format(printf,...)))").  Maybe because some of these files are part of
> the boot wrappers and are built (effectively) independently of the kernel
> itself.  Notice that arch/powerpc/boot/stdio.h does not include any
> kernel headers ...

The conversion was too comprehensive.

Probably most of the arch/... changes should be removed.
The arch/frv and arch/s390 changes look safe as they
are after #includes of kernel.h.

 arch/alpha/boot/misc.c                       |    3 +-
 arch/alpha/include/asm/console.h             |    3 +-
 arch/frv/include/asm/system.h                |    2 +-
 arch/ia64/include/asm/mca.h                  |    3 +-
 arch/m68k/include/asm/natfeat.h              |    3 +-
 arch/mn10300/include/asm/gdb-stub.h          |    5 +-
 arch/powerpc/boot/ps3.c                      |    3 +-
 arch/powerpc/boot/stdio.h                    |    5 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/udbg.h              |    3 +-
 arch/s390/include/asm/debug.h                |   11 +--
 arch/um/include/shared/user.h                |    8 +-