Subject: Re: [PATCH] ata: Don't use NO_IRQ in pata_of_platform driver

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:12:53 +1100

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 11:28 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Dave Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > This is now broken on ARM where, for good or bad, NO_IRQ currently is
> > used and is -1.
> >
> > How do we resolve it?  If we are ready to eliminate NO_IRQ from
> > drivers/of/irq.c (or indeed, all code that uses it) and just use 0 for
> > that case, we should surely just do it... but I'm not confident I can
> > judge on that.
> 
> Just stop using NO_IRQ. First in drivers/of/irq.c, then in any drivers
> as you notice breakage.

Agreed. In fact the whole hack in drivers/of/irq.c was to accomodate ARM
which still uses -1, powerpc changed to 0 a long time ago.

Now that we have a generic remapper between HW and "linux" IRQ numbers,
there is no reason to stick to -1 even on ARM.

> Don't *change* NO_IRQ to zero (that whole #define is broken - leave it
> around as a marker of brokenness), just start removing it from all the
> ARM drivers that use the OF infrastructure. Which is presumably not
> all that many yet.
> 
> So whenever you find breakage, the fix now is to just remove NO_IRQ
> tests, and replace them with "!irq".

Cheers,
Ben.