Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the target-merge tree

From: "Nicholas A. Bellinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:47:06 -0700

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 08:16 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 02:44:23PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > So Linus has merged target-pending/for-next this afternoon, so now we
> > are just waiting on net-next to hit mainline with the vhost patches
> > already ACK'ed by MST.  Hopefully that makes things easier for you to
> > considering taking tcm_vhost upstream via staging.  ;)
> > 
> > Also, MST asked for an RFC-v5 for the initial merge commit with some
> > minor debug wrapper changes that will be going out next week.  This will
> > include a move into drivers/staging/tcm_vhost/ against a rebased
> > staging.git patch with the necessary -rc0 mainline dependencies.
> > 
> > Please let me know if your OK with this, otherwise I'll just plan to
> > keep -v5 against target-pending/for-next-merge for now, and send a GIT
> > PULL after MST gets back from holiday on the 29th -> 30th.
> 
> I have no idea what any of the above three paragraphs are asking for, or
> talking about, sorry.
> 
> Note, the merge window is closed for taking new stuff into the staging
> tree.  If it isn't already in my staging-next tree, it isn't going to go
> into 3.6 unless it's bug fixes, sorry.

In that case, I'll just keep tcm_vhost in drivers/vhost/ for now and
await MST's return to determine if he's willing to ACK this round (via
target-pending) for an initial merge.

> How about we figure all of this
> out after 3.6-rc1 is out so we can understand what is going on for 3.7?
> 

I'd like to try to avoid slipping to v3.7 if possible, as we'll have the
necessary dependencies in mainline over the next days once net-next is
merged.  It's also self-contained driver that does not effect existing
code (aside from what's already been ACK'ed), so risk is very low..

--nab