Subject: [PATCH tty-next] n_tty: Fix termios_rwsem lockdep false positive

From: Peter Hurley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 08:04:23 -0400

Lockdep reports a circular lock dependency between
atomic_read_lock and termios_rwsem [1]. However, a lock
order deadlock is not possible since CPU1 only holds a
read lock which cannot prevent CPU0 from also acquiring
a read lock on the same r/w semaphore.

Unfortunately, lockdep cannot currently distinguish whether
the locks are read or write for any particular lock graph,
merely that the locks _were_ previously read and/or write.

Until lockdep is fixed, re-order atomic_read_lock so
termios_rwsem can be dropped and reacquired without
triggering lockdep.

Reported-by: Artem Savkov <[email-masked]>
Reported-by: Sergey Senozhatsky <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Peter Hurley <[email-masked]>

[1] Initial lockdep report from Artem Savkov <[email-masked]>

 ======================================================
 [ INFO: possible circular locking dependency detected ]
 3.11.0-rc3-next-20130730+ #140 Tainted: G        W
 -------------------------------------------------------
 bash/1198 is trying to acquire lock:
  (&tty->termios_rwsem){++++..}, at: [<ffffffff816aa3bb>] n_tty_read+0x49b/0x660

 but task is already holding lock:
  (&ldata->atomic_read_lock){+.+...}, at: [<ffffffff816aa0f0>] n_tty_read+0x1d0/0x660

 which lock already depends on the new lock.

 the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

 -> #1 (&ldata->atomic_read_lock){+.+...}:
        [<ffffffff811111cc>] validate_chain+0x73c/0x850
        [<ffffffff811117e0>] __lock_acquire+0x500/0x5d0
        [<ffffffff81111a29>] lock_acquire+0x179/0x1d0
        [<ffffffff81d34b9c>] mutex_lock_interruptible_nested+0x7c/0x540
        [<ffffffff816aa0f0>] n_tty_read+0x1d0/0x660
        [<ffffffff816a3bb6>] tty_read+0x86/0xf0
        [<ffffffff811f21d3>] vfs_read+0xc3/0x130
        [<ffffffff811f2702>] SyS_read+0x62/0xa0
        [<ffffffff81d45259>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

 -> #0 (&tty->termios_rwsem){++++..}:
        [<ffffffff8111064f>] check_prev_add+0x14f/0x590
        [<ffffffff811111cc>] validate_chain+0x73c/0x850
        [<ffffffff811117e0>] __lock_acquire+0x500/0x5d0
        [<ffffffff81111a29>] lock_acquire+0x179/0x1d0
        [<ffffffff81d372c1>] down_read+0x51/0xa0
        [<ffffffff816aa3bb>] n_tty_read+0x49b/0x660
        [<ffffffff816a3bb6>] tty_read+0x86/0xf0
        [<ffffffff811f21d3>] vfs_read+0xc3/0x130
        [<ffffffff811f2702>] SyS_read+0x62/0xa0
        [<ffffffff81d45259>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

 other info that might help us debug this:

  Possible unsafe locking scenario:

        CPU0                    CPU1
        ----                    ----
   lock(&ldata->atomic_read_lock);
                                lock(&tty->termios_rwsem);
                                lock(&ldata->atomic_read_lock);
   lock(&tty->termios_rwsem);

  *** DEADLOCK ***

 2 locks held by bash/1198:
  #0:  (&tty->ldisc_sem){.+.+.+}, at: [<ffffffff816ade04>] tty_ldisc_ref_wait+0x24/0x60
  #1:  (&ldata->atomic_read_lock){+.+...}, at: [<ffffffff816aa0f0>] n_tty_read+0x1d0/0x660

 stack backtrace:
 CPU: 1 PID: 1198 Comm: bash Tainted: G        W    3.11.0-rc3-next-20130730+ #140
 Hardware name: Bochs Bochs, BIOS Bochs 01/01/2007
  0000000000000000 ffff880019acdb28 ffffffff81d34074 0000000000000002
  0000000000000000 ffff880019acdb78 ffffffff8110ed75 ffff880019acdb98
  ffff880019fd0000 ffff880019acdb78 ffff880019fd0638 ffff880019fd0670
 Call Trace:
  [<ffffffff81d34074>] dump_stack+0x59/0x7d
  [<ffffffff8110ed75>] print_circular_bug+0x105/0x120
  [<ffffffff8111064f>] check_prev_add+0x14f/0x590
  [<ffffffff81d3ab5f>] ? _raw_spin_unlock_irq+0x4f/0x70
  [<ffffffff811111cc>] validate_chain+0x73c/0x850
  [<ffffffff8110ae0f>] ? trace_hardirqs_off_caller+0x1f/0x190
  [<ffffffff811117e0>] __lock_acquire+0x500/0x5d0
  [<ffffffff81111a29>] lock_acquire+0x179/0x1d0
  [<ffffffff816aa3bb>] ? n_tty_read+0x49b/0x660
  [<ffffffff81d372c1>] down_read+0x51/0xa0
  [<ffffffff816aa3bb>] ? n_tty_read+0x49b/0x660
  [<ffffffff816aa3bb>] n_tty_read+0x49b/0x660
  [<ffffffff810e4130>] ? try_to_wake_up+0x210/0x210
  [<ffffffff816a3bb6>] tty_read+0x86/0xf0
  [<ffffffff811f21d3>] vfs_read+0xc3/0x130
  [<ffffffff811f2702>] SyS_read+0x62/0xa0
  [<ffffffff815e24ee>] ? trace_hardirqs_on_thunk+0x3a/0x3f
  [<ffffffff81d45259>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
---
 drivers/tty/n_tty.c | 25 +++++++++++--------------
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/tty/n_tty.c b/drivers/tty/n_tty.c
index dd8ae0c..c9a9ddd 100644
--- a/drivers/tty/n_tty.c
+++ b/drivers/tty/n_tty.c
@@ -2122,6 +2122,17 @@ static ssize_t n_tty_read(struct tty_struct *tty, struct file *file,
 	if (c < 0)
 		return c;
 
+	/*
+	 *	Internal serialization of reads.
+	 */
+	if (file->f_flags & O_NONBLOCK) {
+		if (!mutex_trylock(&ldata->atomic_read_lock))
+			return -EAGAIN;
+	} else {
+		if (mutex_lock_interruptible(&ldata->atomic_read_lock))
+			return -ERESTARTSYS;
+	}
+
 	down_read(&tty->termios_rwsem);
 
 	minimum = time = 0;
@@ -2141,20 +2152,6 @@ static ssize_t n_tty_read(struct tty_struct *tty, struct file *file,
 		}
 	}
 
-	/*
-	 *	Internal serialization of reads.
-	 */
-	if (file->f_flags & O_NONBLOCK) {
-		if (!mutex_trylock(&ldata->atomic_read_lock)) {
-			up_read(&tty->termios_rwsem);
-			return -EAGAIN;
-		}
-	} else {
-		if (mutex_lock_interruptible(&ldata->atomic_read_lock)) {
-			up_read(&tty->termios_rwsem);
-			return -ERESTARTSYS;
-		}
-	}
 	packet = tty->packet;
 
 	add_wait_queue(&tty->read_wait, &wait);
-- 
1.8.1.2