Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 06:59:56 +1100

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 11:37 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 02:55:41PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> > How do you suggest we proceed ? I can't add a fix to powerpc-next to use
> > the new function since it doesn't exist upstream yet. I would have to
> > pull drivers-core-next in which I really don't want to do....
> 
> > Can the removal of the function be delayed to -rc1 so we can properly
> > do the fixup ? Or do you have the introduction of the new function in
> > a topic branch I can pull in without the rest of drivers-core-next ?
> 
> The delay would have been my first suggestion - otherwise I'd not be
> surprised to see this coming up again.  Perhaps change to tagging the
> APIs as deprecated for now (so any futher new users get flagged up)
> would help.
 
Either that or I can put a copy of the patch that introduces the new
function in my tree as long as it's a single patch. The resulting
conflict should resolve trivially and Linus should be fine if
appropriate explanations are provided (though I would have preferred
pulling in a topic branch).

Greg, how do you want to proceed ?

Cheers,
Ben.