Subject: Re: Crash caused by "EDAC: Rip out the edac_subsys reference counting" (was Re: linux-next: Tree for Dec 8)

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:57:05 -0600

On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 18:38 +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 10:50:09AM -0600, Scott Wood wrote:
> > It's not "a driver's probe function".  There is no driver whose .probe()
> > is
> > mpc85xx_pci_err_probe() -- the name is historical.
> 
> From looking at it, it behaves a lot like a probe function. Irrespective
> of what it is or it isn't, calling it from outside a driver which can be
> built as a module is a no-no. So I'd appreciate it if someone could test
> Johannes' patch on the relevant hardware.

Thanks for pointing the patch out -- it wasn't posted to linuxppc-dev so I
would have missed it otherwise.  I don't need to test it to see that it's
broken -- we can't have two drivers binding to the same device, which is the
reason why the current situation exists.

I recall at the time suggesting that the PCIe controller driver instantiate a
platform device for the EDAC driver to bind to -- it looks like that's what
we'll need to do.

-Scott