Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the scsi tree with the staging tree

From: Bart Van Assche <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:36:06 +0000

On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 18:05 +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 03:41:28PM +0000, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > * Most SCSI drivers exist under drivers/scsi, including the virtio-scsi and
> >   xen-scsifront drivers. So why has the visorhba driver been added under
> >   unisys/visorhba?
> 
> That's because right now it's still a staging driver.  Also, there are
> other scsi drivers in other portions of the kernel tree (like the USB
> driver), so there's no hard rule that all scsi drivers have to be under
> drivers/scsi/
> 
> <snip>
> 
> Please provide this review to them, on the properly mailing list, I'm
> sure they would be glad to get it.

OK, I will do that. BTW, is there a written down version of the rules for
adding a driver under drivers/staging available somewhere? As far as I can
see the visorhba driver went in without the linux-scsi mailing list having
been CC-ed. See also Benjamin Romer, [PATCH] staging: unisys: Add s-Par
visorhba, linux-driver-devel mailing list, July 2015
(https://marc.info/?l=linux-driver-devel&m=143681271902628).

Thanks,

Bart.