Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the pmdomain tree

From: Heiko Stübner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 17:16:05 +0100

Hi Geert,

Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2025, 16:56:01 MEZ schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven:
> Hi Ulf,
> 
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2025 at 13:27, Ulf Hansson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Feb 2025 at 06:20, Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 24 Feb 2025 12:23:18 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > > On Thu, 20 Feb 2025 11:33:38 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > > > After merging the pmdomain tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> > > > > allmodconfig) failed like this:
> > > > >
> > > > > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `rockchip_do_pmu_set_power_domain':
> > > > > pm-domains.c:(.text+0x19aa103): undefined reference to `arm_smccc_1_1_get_conduit'
> > > > >
> > > > > Caused by commit
> > > > >
> > > > >   61eeb9678789 ("pmdomain: rockchip: Check if SMC could be handled by TA")
> > > > >
> > > > > $ grep CONFIG_HAVE_ARM_SMCCC_DISCOVERY .config
> > > > > $
> > > > >
> > > > > I have used the pmdomain tree from next-20250219 for today.
> > > >
> > > > I am still seeing this build failure.
> > >
> > > And now that commit from the pmdomain tree has been merged into the
> > > scsi-mkp tree and so the build failure happens there as well.
> > >
> > > I have used the scsi-mkp tree from next-20250221 for today.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Stephen Rothwell
> >
> > Stephen, thanks for reporting and sorry for the delay.
> >
> > I have now fixed the problem on the next branch as well on the
> > immutable rockchip branch. Martin, please pull again.
> 
> So this was fixed by adding a dependency on HAVE_ARM_SMCCC_DISCOVERY[1].
> 
> I am no Rockchip expert, but is this the correct fix?
> As arch/arm/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3036.dtsi uses enable-method =
> "rockchip,rk3036-smp", e.g. RK3036 does not depend on PSCI, so I assume
> you could run a kernel without PSCI support on RK3036 before?

All still relevant 32bit Rockchip SoCs (rv11*) already switched over to
PSCI. So if one uses some sort of distro-kernel (or one simply built from
the in-kernel defconfig), PSCI support will be in there already.

So the only case where this is relevant, is for kernels custom-build for
one specific soc type.

The rk3036 (and rk3128) are from the same era as the rk3288 - 2014 .
That's more than 10 years ago. And we're not talking about these old
boards not working anymore - just a _possible_ size increase in very
special cases (of not using any distro-like kernel).

arm32 psci.o is 176kb ... and even my r3036-kylin board came with 512MB
ram. So personally I'm not too worried.

Heiko