Subject: Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the rdma-fixes tree

From: Doug Ledford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 08:28:45 -0500

On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 08:09 +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 04:40:58PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 
> > Commit
> > 
> >   aa0de36a40f4 ("RDMA/mlx5: Fix integer overflow while resizing CQ")
> > 
> > is missing a Signed-off-by from its author.
> 
> Doug, something went wrong with your scripts
> 
> In patchworks it is with SOB and lengthy commit message:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10264089/
> 
> In the tree, it is cut:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git/commit/?h=for-rc&id=aa0de36a40f446f5a21a7c1e677b98206e242edb

I use git am -s <mboxfile> to bring the patch in, so this usually
indicates that there was something wrong with the email and it caused
patchworks to improperly parse it.  Sure enough, when I look in
patchworks (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10264089/, the exact link
you listed above so I'm surprised you didn't catch this), patchworks
parsed that separator line you put in the commit message:
====================================================================
as the end of message and start of patch.  So, in patchworks, that line
and everything after it is considered part of the patch and not part of
the message.  So, when I download the mbox file, patchworks placed this:

---
2.6.12

at the end of the truncated commit message, so git am would also ignore
everything after your separator line.

Anyway, I've hand edited the mbox file and I pushed a rebased version of
my wip branch.  However, during the night Jason must have moved my
wip/for-rc branch to the official for-rc because it's there now, so the
only way to fix this (that I know of) in our official for-rc branch is a
rebase :-(

FWIW, be careful using those big separator lines like that.  They can
and, as you see here, do trip up the automated tools sometimes :-(. 
Would be better to just not put a guard around the copied in stuff.

-- 
Doug Ledford <[email-masked]>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD
    Key fingerprint = AE6B 1BDA 122B 23B4 265B  1274 B826 A333 0E57 2FDD