Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:09:03 +1000

Hi Dave,

On Mon, 12 May 2008 00:54:54 -0700 (PDT) David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> There is identical code in arch/powerpc/kernel/pci_64.c, it doesn't
> break the build there becuase powerpc doesn't use -Werror (yet) :-)

OK, I will look for your fix and copy it over, thanks.

> I'm getting a little tired of all of these breakages that occur when
> the core PCI probing under drivers/pci or related datastructures are
> modified but nobody even tests the build of powerpc or sparc's OF
> based PCI bus probing code.
> 
> There have also been functional breakages due to core PCI changes
> because of this, an update goes into the drivers/pci/*.c code but
> doesn't get noticed for arch/{sparc64,powerpc}/'s PCI probing code
> until some poor arch maintainer or user tries to bootup on those
> platforms.

One of the reasons that we have linux-next, of course.  However, it would
be nice if Greg could find a couple of cross compilers for the major
architectures :-)

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/