Subject: Fwd: Re: [PATCH] kprobes: fix compilation break due to kprobe_mutex

From: Russell King - ARM Linux <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:42:45 +0100

FYI.

Presumably this hasn't been detected because linux-next isn't building
enough ARM configurations to hit one that has kprobes enabled?

----- Forwarded message from Abhishek Sagar <[email-masked]> -----

Delivery-date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:30:06 +0100
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 16:59:53 +0530
From: "Abhishek Sagar" <[email-masked]>
To: "Russell King - ARM Linux" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [PATCH] kprobes: fix compilation break due to kprobe_mutex
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], 
	[email-masked]

On 5/17/08, Russell King - ARM Linux <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The commit you refer to does not exist in mainline.

Yea, sorry. That commit is an upstream bubble in some unrelated branch
I was tracking.

Now that I look at it, the commit I'm referring to is in
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86.git :
auto-sched-next. I merged all the recent kprobe related changes from
there into my local arm kprobes branch based on 2.6.26-rc2 and fired a
build for arm. That's when I encountered the kprobe build error.

> In addition, the URL you refer to above, the patch doesn't
> match the  diffstat - the patch doesn't touch kernel/kprobes.c.

Here's the updated version (series), with a proper diffstat:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/24/217

> The only thing the patch seems to be doing is removing the
> mutex.  It never adds anything.

Yes and this cleanup of kprobe_mutex usage from all the arch dependent
kprobe code needs to be done for arm too, else it'll break
compilation.

Regards,
Abhishek Sagar

----- End forwarded message -----