Subject: linux-next: block merge conflicts

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:47:29 +1000

Hi Jens,

[You win the prize for most conflicts in one day!  :-)]

Today's linux-next merge of the block tree got conflicts in the following
files:

arch/powerpc/Kconfig	against the ftrace tree (trivial)
arch/s390/kernel/time.c	against the s390 tree (function name change
			etr_sync_cpu_start -> clock_sync_cpu_start and
			etr_disable_sync_clock -> disable_sync_clock)
arch/x86/kernel/apic_32.c	against the x86 tree (set_intr_gate ->
				alloc_intr_gate)
arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perfctr-watchdog.c	against the x86 tree (trivial)
arch/x86/kernel/i8259_64.c	against the x86 tree (set_intr_gate ->
				alloc_intr_gate and the part of the file was
				moved to irqinit_64.c)
arch/x86/kernel/ldt.c	against the x86 tree (argument to smp_call_function
			changed)
arch/x86/kernel/nmi_32.c	against the x86 tree (file was merged
				into nmi.c which merged correctly)
arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c	against the kvm tree (trivial context and an
			on_each_cpu was removed)
arch/x86/xen/smp.c	against the cpus4096 tree (for_each_cpu_mask ->
			for_each_cpu_mask_nr and context)
include/asm-x86/hw_irq_32.h	against the x86 tree (merged into hw_irq.h)
include/asm-x86/hw_irq_64.h	against the x86 tree (merged into hw_irq.h
				and irq_vectors.h)
include/asm-x86/mach-default/irq_vectors.h	against the x86 tree (merged
						into asm-x86/irq_vectors.h)
include/asm-x86/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h	against the x86 tree (merged
						into asm-x86/irq_vectors.h)
(There was a bug in the above file - QIC_CALL_FUNCTION_CPI is used twice
instead of being QIC_CALL_FUNCTION_SINGLE_CPI the second time)
kernel/Makefile		against the sched tree (trivial context)
kernel/rcupdate.c	against the sched tree (changed parameter to
			on_each_cpu)
net/iucv/iucv.c		against the net tree (trivial context)
virt/kvm/kvm_main.c	against the kvm tree (trivial context)

So you can see that there are some challenges there.  I tried to fix it
all up as well as I could but no guarantees.

However the powerpc ppc64_defconfig build failed immediately like this:

In file included from include/linux/smp.h:29,
                 from include/linux/topology.h:33,
                 from include/linux/mmzone.h:683,
                 from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
                 from include/linux/slab.h:12,
                 from include/linux/percpu.h:5,
                 from include2/asm/time.h:18,
                 from include2/asm/cputime.h:26,
                 from include/linux/sched.h:66,
                 from arch/powerpc/kernel/asm-offsets.c:17:
include2/asm/smp.h: In function 'arch_send_call_function_single_ipi':
include2/asm/smp.h:121: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
include2/asm/smp.h: In function 'arch_send_call_function_ipi':
include2/asm/smp.h:129: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

and it went downhill from there - smp_opts_t is defined in asm/machdep.h
but including that in asm/smp.h only gets us more errors.

So I have reverted the block tree for today, sorry.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/