Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325

From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:38:36 +0200

On Monday, 16 of June 2008, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> 
> > > > commit 7e3530cd98a0c6ab38f5898e855a5beffab26561
> > > > Author: Maciej W. Rozycki <[email-masked]>
> > > > Date:   Tue May 27 21:19:51 2008 +0100
> > > > 
> > > >     x86: I/O APIC: timer through 8259A second-chance
> > > > 
> > > >     Signed-off-by: Maciej W. Rozycki <[email-masked]>
> > > >     Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
> > > 
> > >  Can I have .config used and a full bootstrap log from that system with
> > > the patch still applied?
> > 
> > That may be difficult, because with the patch applied the box either doesn't
> > boot at all, or works unreliably when booted (depending on the set of patches
> > applied on top of it).
> 
>  Serial console?

No, this box doesn't have any serial ports.  It has a FireWire one, but I don't
have a matching cable ...

>  I'm most interested in one from a configuration that 
> does not boot at all as that's easier to reproduce, determine the cause
> and verify whether a change fixes the problem or not.  Other
> configurations may then be tested with the fix in place.

With the -next from today (20080616) I get a different picture.

Without any patches on top it boots, but the fan is turned 100% on as soon as
the ACPI modules get loaded, regardless of the temperature (normally it does
that above 75^o C, which is impossible to get normally, because there are 3
temperature trip points below that level; generally the hardware only does that
when overheating).  After that, things start to go _very_ slow, like 10x slower
than usually in X and somewhat slower in the fb console, but I was able to get
a dmesg output.  This is reproducible 100% of the time.

With commit 7e3530cd98a0c6ab38f5898e855a5beffab26561 reverted the box seems to
work normally.  However, while I was writing this message, ACPI decided it was
overheating and emergency shut down the box, although that was completely
wrong.  Next time I'll try with the C1E patches reverted.

The .config is at: http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/20080616/next-config

dmesg output without any patches is at
http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/20080616/dmesg-1.log

dmesg output with commit 7e3530cd98a0c6ab38f5898e855a5beffab26561 reverted is
at: http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/20080616/dmesg-2.log

(they look pretty similar to my untrained eye, but well).

Thanks,
Rafael