Subject: linux-next: s390 build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:42:35 +1000

Hi Martin,

Starting with next-20080613, the linux-next build (s390 defconfig s390x
compiler) has failed with these errors:

In file included from /scratch/michael/kisskb-build/src/include/linux/spinlock.h:87,
                 from /scratch/michael/kisskb-build/src/include/linux/smp.h:11,
                 from /scratch/michael/kisskb-build/src/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:4,
                 from /scratch/michael/kisskb-build/src/mm/memory.c:41:
include2/asm/spinlock.h: In function '__raw_spin_lock':
include2/asm/spinlock.h:69: error: implicit declaration of function 'smp_processor_id'

There are others as well, but I was concentrating on this.  Bisecting
leads to commit 2448ad3d8e64a9b58acca34a3d010cfa0be88cc1 which is the
merge of the block tree.  The block tree contains a commit
(37e81b98dba08cce1d8eedb2bdaa58022bf31ee0 "Add generic helpers for arch
IPI function calls") that adds an include of linux/spinlock.h to
linux/smp.h. (asm-s390/spinlock.h includes linux/smp.h ...)

But the block tree itself is OK.  So something in the s390 tree is
interacting with the above commit to cause the failure.  It is not
immediately obvious to me what that is. (Or I may have screwed up the
bisect :-))

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/