Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325

From: Matthew Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:47:11 +0100

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 02:45:44AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> ... also past experience is that DMI tables don't work well for this.
> We tried that early when ACPI was still very problematic and it turned
> out to be a flawed non-scalable strategy,
> 
> Typically the configurations causing problems are in multiple motherboards
> with different DMI strings and it's very difficult to catch them all.
> 
> Also sometimes BIOS behaviour changes over versions and that's tricky to catch
> with the standard DMI matches.

In this specific case, the problem is clearly due to nonsensical code in 
the DSDT that alters the thermal trip points based on ioapic 
configuration. It's only been observed on two almost identical models 
from one manufacturer, and doesn't occur on any other known machines 
with the same chipset. I think it's safe to special-case.

-- 
Matthew Garrett | [email-masked]