Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the sched tree

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:02:51 +0200

* Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the sched tree got a conflict in 
> include/linux/rculist.h between commit 
> 93921f5c2ce7427cc30341c86882527d1d1d8770 ("Introduce rculist.h") from 
> Linus' tree and commit 82524746c27fa418c250a56dd7606b9d3fc79826 ("rcu: 
> split list.h and move rcu-protected lists into rculist.h") from the 
> sched tree.
> 
> This, of course, was expected and I just took the version in the sched 
> tree and can carry that as a fixup.
> 
> At this point, it would be nice for the places we know that other 
> subsystems need to start using rculist.h to be sent independent 
> patches to do that.  That means creating persusbsystem parts from the 
> latter commit above.  Once they have been integrated, then I can 
> remove several build fix patches that I am carrying in linux-next.  It 
> would have been good if we have done this quite a while ago.

Well, it might have made sense a month or two ago, but now we are a week 
before the merge window so all this does is extra merge complications 
for me and others. So lets wait a week until tip/core/rcu hits upstream 
and then all these complications are resolved in one go, ok?

	Ingo