Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the generic-ipi tree

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:44:57 +0200

* Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
> 
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:40:12 +0200 Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > hm, so them being stale over the merge window is a problem for you, 
> > even thought the sha1's didnt change? Ok - i'll do a full 
> > integration run right away to update them all to linus-very-latest. 
> > There's been quite a number of nontrivial interactions.
> 
> Its not to bad except where what gets merged to Linus is not exactly 
> what is in linux-next.  This can be because they are sent to Linus as 
> patches, or the just the merge commits are are different.

Hm. Sometimes i collapse merge fixlets into the conflict resolution 
commit to reduce the bisection breakage window. If the difference is 
material (and for the worse ;-) then please let us know about it.

> However, once a tree is merged to Linus, just resetting resetting it 
> to be (a subset of) his tree (for some a fast forward for others not) 
> makes sense anyway.  (And makes my life easier :-))
> 
> So thanks for that.

Instead of a reset i did an integration run. That automatically gets rid 
of everything that Linus has merged - plus it adds whatever got merged 
meanwhile in various topic branches. (because life doesnt stop :)

For many topics that means auto-topic-next == linus, but it's inherently 
safer than an explicit reset, because it cannot result in the loss of 
commits :-)

	Ingo