Subject: linux-next: sparc32/gcc-3.4.5/ld-2.15 build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:16:03 +1000

Hi Dave,

linux-next builds (sparc32 defconfig) have been failing for some time
like this:

.tmp_kallsyms2.o(.rodata+0x0): In function `kallsyms_addresses':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_SPARC_32 _text
.tmp_kallsyms2.o(.rodata+0x4): In function `kallsyms_addresses':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_SPARC_32 _text
.tmp_kallsyms2.o(.rodata+0x8): In function `kallsyms_addresses':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_SPARC_32 _text

(several more)

I finally bisected it down to this commit:

commit f9247273cb69ba101877e946d2d83044409cc8c5
Author: Steven Whitehouse <[email-masked]>
Date:   Thu Jul 24 17:22:13 2008 +0100

    UFS: add const to parser token table
    
Reverting this commit and the followup commit:

commit fb2e405fc1fc8b20d9c78eaa1c7fd5a297efde43
Author: Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Jul 25 02:55:49 2008 +0300

    fix fs/nfs/nfsroot.c compilation

allows the sparc32 build to succeed.  This is toolchain specific as a
different cross toolchain I have does not get this error.

Failing toolchain:

$ gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.3.6/sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc --version
sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.4.5
$ gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.3.6/sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld --version
GNU ld version 2.15

An OK toolchain:
$ cross/bin/sparc64-linux-gcc --version
sparc64-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.2.4
$ cross/bin/sparc64-linux-ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18

Both these commits are actually in Linus' tree, now.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/