Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kmemcheck tree

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:17:00 +0200

* Pekka Enberg <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Today's linux-next merge of the kmemcheck tree got a conflict in
>> arch/x86/kernel/process_64.c between commits
>> 8092c654de9a964c14d89da56834f73a80548a58 ("x86: add KERN_INFO to printks
>> on process_64.c") and 7de08b4e1ed8d80e6086f71b7e99fc4b397aae39 ("x86:
>> coding styles fixes to arch/x86/kernel/process_64.c") from the x86 tree
>> and commit afdb7023b849cffda679fcec324ff592d7b24a51 ("x86:
>> __show_registers() and __show_regs() API unification") from the kmemcheck
>> tree.
>
> Ingo, can we push the unification patch to mainline before kmemcheck 
> to get rid of the conflict?

hm, i think it's too late for that. The 130+ arch/x86 contributors were 
very busy in this cycle too [1300+ commits (!)] so we need to slow down 
during -rc's much harder and much sooner than other, lower-flux 
subsystems.

Furthermore, this particular piece of code is not in a high-flux area so 
git-rerere should properly take care of it i think, even in the longer 
run. I've been carrying that merge fixup in tip/master for a long time.

	Ingo