Subject: Re: linux-next: ftrace tree build failure

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:05:29 +0200

* Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig) failed like this:
> 
> kernel/trace/ftrace.c: In function 'ftrace_record_ip':
> kernel/trace/ftrace.c:416: error: incompatible type for argument 1 of '_spin_lock_irqsave'
> kernel/trace/ftrace.c:433: error: incompatible type for argument 1 of '_spin_lock_irqsave'
> 
> (This is after I have disabled CONFIG_FTRACE_MCOUNT_RECORD)

hm, how have you disabled it? It's not an interactive option and it's 
always enabled when CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE is enabled. (that's how that 
build failure never got discovered)

> Introduced by commit 6dad8e07f4c10b17b038e84d29f3ca41c2e55cd0 ("ftrace:
> add necessary locking for ftrace records").  I have applied the following
> patch.

thanks, applied - the fix makes sense.

	Ingo