Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for September 3

From: Arjan van de Ven <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:39:39 -0700

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 
> 
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> >  
> > > BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000040
> > > IP: [<c0126e7f>] get_next_timer_interrupt+0xe9/0x1ab
> > 
> > Cute, NULL pointer in the timer check code. Can you please addr2line
> > the exact code line or upload the vmlinux somewhere ?
> 
> Use "scrips/decodecode" (with AFLAGS=--32 since this is x86-32). It
> shows (after some cleanup and editing):

btw if the oops was on lkml like it was here you can also just look it
up on kerneloops.org via the search option

which for this case finds you
http://www.kerneloops.org/raw.php?rawid=59347&msgid=http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]

and this has the decodecode already done 

and the search output at
http://www.kerneloops.org/search.php?search=get_next_timer_interrupt
shows that there's only been very few reports of this one, but of the
ones there were at least half were slab poisoned.

what the site doesn't do for an oops like this is show the C-code
interspersed, it's not that smart for general kernels (that only works
for fedora rpm kernels like here:
http://www.kerneloops.org/raw.php?rawid=57807&msgid=
)

otoh if you have the vmlinux you could do this locally
(hmm maybe I should clean that script up and submit for adding to
the scripts/ directory)
-- 
If you want to reach me at my work email, use [email-masked]
For development, discussion and tips for power savings, 
visit http://www.lesswatts.org